- To join the conversation, FOLLOW AtoZrunning.
- Wherever you listen or engage with us, share your thoughts, reactions, ideas, questions
- Renee Zengel on Instagram said, “I keep having to go back on the episode because I want to remember everything he said so I can implement it.”
WORLD OF RUNNING
World Half Champs – MEN
Link to video summary (this is a GREAT video)
- Jacob Kiplimo, 58:49 (15k-20k, 13:38) → championship record
- Kenya’s Kibiwott Kandie was second in 58:54 and
- Ethiopia’s Amedework Walelegn third in 59:08 as
- Joshua Cheptegei was fourth in his debut in 59:21.
- Note: he was attempting to be only the second athlete ever to win track, XC, and road titles (in one year)
- OVERALL: 12 national records
- South Africa = Stephen MOKOKA
- France = Morhad AMDOUNI
- Ukraine = Bohdan-Ivan HORODYSKYY
- Israel = Tadesse GETAHON
- Chile = Carlos Martín DÍAZ DEL RIO
- Poland = Krystian ZALEWSKI
- Estonia = Tiidrek NURME
- Iceland = Hlynur ANDRÉSSON
- Dominican Republic = Alvaro ABREU MARTIN
- Lithuania = Remigijus KANČYS
- Honduras = Iván ZARCO
- El Salvador = Oscar Antonio ALDANA
- OVERALL: 69 of 117 finishers ran PRs
World Half Champs – WOMEN
- Peres Jepchirchir won in 1:05:16 (new women’s-only race World Record)
- Melat Kejeta 1:05:18 for new European and German women’s-only records
- Ethiopian born,
- changed nationality in March 2019,
- Began competing for Germany in March 2020
- (over 3min HM PR, according to World Athletics)
- Yalemzerf YEHUALAW 1:05:19
- OVERALL: 9 national records
- Kenya [WR, AR for women only] = Peres Jepchirchir
- Germany [women only European rec] = Melat Kejeta
- Turkey = Yasemin CAN
- Switzerland = Fabienne SCHLUMPF
- Uganda = Juliet CHEKWEL
- Argentina = Florencia BORELLI
- Zimbabwe = Fortunate CHIDZIVO
- Hong Kong = Kit Ching YIU
- Cyprus = Thalia CHARALAMBOUS
- OVERALL: 66 of 101 finishers ran PB
Michigan Pro Ekiden and HM (ay-Kie-den)
10/21 will be the relay
- BTC, Hansons, Roots, TEAM boulder, NAZ elite, Atlanta TC, Minn Distance Elite
10/28 will be the HM
The Marathon Project 2020
Highly elite fields have been selected for the Marathon Project 2020. The competition will take place in Arizona, The course is a 4.3 mile loop and will be paced to run fast.
Women’s field mentions:
Men’s field mentions:
MAIN TOPIC: WHAT IS SERIOUS RUNNING?
What is serious running? This week on the A to Z Running Podcast we discuss what it means to be a serious runner. By serious we do not mean a certain mileage, personal best times, or an achievement record but rather the way we perceive ourselves and the sport.
Serious runners often take running as more than an occasional activity and want to grow and improve in the sport.
The inevitable questions that arise are:
“What do runners do?”
“How do they do it?”
“When do they do it?”
To address this topic, we spoke with Anne about her own journey into this indefinable “serious runner” zone.
About our guest: ANNE
Anne (known as @margsandmarathons) is a non-runner to 2:53 marathoner. She has also run a 16:52 in the 5k during a time trial during Covid. Anne tells A to Z Running about her transition to serious running and some helpful explanations as to how this change occurred and how a big factor was beginning to view herself as an athlete.