In this episode of the A to Z Running Podcast, runners get their questions answered about focus techniques, treadmill problems, and GPS.
- FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE
- Thanks for joining in on the conversation on social media. Please say hello if you see us at races!
- Pro-Tec Athletics discount code: AtoZ20
- Aletha Health discount code: AtoZ
- Mobo Board discount code: ATOZRUNNING10
- Knockaround discount code: AtoZKnocks15
- SideKick Tool discount code: (use link for 15% off) sidekicktool.com/atozrunning
- PR Soles: AtoZ
- XOSKIN: AtoZ
- Flipbelt: ATOZRUNNING20
- Check out our new merchandise!
- Around West Michigan on April 22nd? Sign up for Rivertown Races! Use code: AtoZ10
Some of these codes may be affiliate codes.
MAIN TOPIC: RACE DISTANCE, DOWN WEEKS, AND TRAIL RUNNING
Main Topic: Listener Q & A
Runners get their questions answered about focus techniques, treadmill problems, and GPS. Tune in for this week’s Q & A episode!
WORLD OF RUNNING
World of Running
Mary ran a 5k, 1st AG
#1. Woody Kincaid New American Indoor 5,000m Record
- Woody Kincaid ran a new USA indoor 5,000m record
- Previously held by Grant Fisher.
- Kincaid closed in a 26.27 final lap to outkick Joe Klecker.
- Kincaid ran a time of 12:51.61 (two seconds off the previous record).
- Kincaid is now 4th on the All-time world list. The only ahead of him are Kenenisa Bekele, Haile Gebrselassie, and Daniel Komen.
- Let’s Run wrote, “This time last year, no American had ever run 12:51, indoors or out.”
- Klecker ran 12:54.99 for the 11th American under 13:00. Klecker is now #4 on the combined US indoor/outdoor list.
#2. Yared Nuguse New American Record Indoor 3,000m Record
- Yared Nuguse (OAC) broke the 10-year old record held by Galen Rupp, running 7:28.24 and the BU Terrier Classic.
- Nuguse’s time was also faster than the 7:28.48 outdoor record Grant Fisher set last summer in Monaco.
- Sam Atkin, unsponsored a year ago, ran 7:31.97 to break Mo Farah’s British record (his time was faster than Farah’s 7:32.62 outdoor record, too).
- Northern Arizona’s Drew Bosley took almost two seconds off Nuguse’s collegiate record by running 7:36.42.
- American Hobbs Kessler ran 7:39.00. (19 years old)
- We believe this is a new U20 USA record (by 8 seconds over German Fernandez’s 2009 best)
#3. North American Record for Canadian in 1,000m
- Lucia Stafford ran a new North American record time of 2:33.75.
- Her time is the 9th fastest time in world history.
- Only two women in the last 15 years have run faster than Stafford in the indoor 1,000 — Olympic silver medallist Laura Muir of Great Britain (2:31.93), the former training partner of Stafford’s older sister, Gabriela DeBues-Stafford, and Ethiopia’s Genzebe Dibaba (2:33.06).
- Lucia was shooting for the Canadian record of 2:37, but everything clicked and she ran more than 4 seconds faster than her goal!
- She beat her nearest competitor by three seconds.
#4. Far from honorable mentions… other MAJOR news
- 17 straight wins at the Armory for Ajee’ Wilson who was the champion in the 1000m over Sage Hurta-Klecker. (14th indoor track win in a row)
- (source) England’s Keely Hodgkinson set a new world indoor best at 600m, beating Russia’s Olga Kotlyarova’s 2004 record by 0.03 seconds
- “I expected to break the WR”
- Her first race at that distance
- (source LetsRun) NC State’s Katelyn Tuohy ran a new NCAA record in the mile in 4:24.26
- Bested Jenny Simpson’s 2009 record of 4:25
- Incredible performance in context: how many great US milers went through NCAA in the interim?
- (source Letsrun) University of Washington ran 8 men in the mile under 4 minutes
- In the same race!
- 5 of them 3:53 or faster
- Led by Joe Waskom in 3:51.9
- First 3 were top 7 all-time in NCAA: Waskom (3rd), Brian Fay in 3:52.03 (5th), Nathan Green in 3:52.76 (7th)