In this episode of the A to Z Running Podcast, we discuss te health benefits of running beyond performance. After that, world of running updates about NCAA XC Championships and more.
- FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE
- Thanks for joining in on the conversation on social media. Please say hello if you see us at races!
- Pro-Tec Athletics discount code: AtoZ20
- Aletha Health discount code: AtoZ
- Mobo Board discount code: ATOZRUNNING10
- Knockaround discount code: AtoZKnocks15
- SideKick Tool discount code: (use link for 15% off) sidekicktool.com/atozrunning
- PR Soles: AtoZ
- XOSKIN: AtoZ
- Flipbelt: ATOZRUNNING20
- Check out our new merchandise!
- Around West Michigan? Sign up for Whoville 5k. December 11 in the afternoon–with a kid race.
- Use code: Atoz5
- $5 off
MAIN TOPIC: BIKING, SNOW RUNNING, AND SHOE DROP
Main Topic: Listener Q & A
Runners get their questions answered about biking, snow running, and shoe drop! Tune in for this week’s Q & A episode!
Thank you Sam, Haley, Andrea, and Jeremy for the questions.
WORLD OF RUNNING
World of Running
- 8k races: Z Step top 5 finish, Daniel PR, Haley PR
- 5k races: Zach PR 2nd overall, Bill 3rd overall, Adi PR, Andrew, Brandon 1min PR, Erin, Hannah (very strong!), Kyle (close to PR), Mark PR, Martha,
- Other: Dan O, Marissa
#1. Kids just keep getting faster…
- Irene Riggs bested Katelyn Tuohy’s course record
- Second fastest XC 5k ever by a HS girl (16:02 vs. Jenna Hutchins’ 15:58)
- Beyond Natalie Cook’s 16:03
- Was around 30 second PR for Riggs
#2. Tuohy signed pro deal (but can still compete collegiately)
- With the new NCAA changes to the NIL (name image likeness) arrangement, athletes can now take sponsorship money as though they are pros
- Some limitations for sure
- Can’t pay to play/bonuses at NCAA contests (what about non-NCAA competition? Not sure)
- Deal ends when eligibility ends (which can be voluntary for the athlete)
- Katelyn Tuohy signed with Adidas
- But what’s the key determinant? Need to be fast, but also need to be visible: all comes back to social media
- Tuohy has 91k followers on Instagram
- Other examples: Nico Young (NAU, 2nd at XC champs) has 50k insta followers and has deals with non-shoe companies; Charles Hicks (Stanford, XC national champ) has 30k subscribers on Youtube
#3. Kenya is on the chopping block (doping)
- World Athletics is considering Kenya for a national ban from competition for doping violations
- Current context: Russia has been serving such a ban
- Despite increased requirements for testing athletes
- Ban now would likely be 4 years
- How bad is it? 17 athletes were sanctioned or banned this year (2022), 8 more provisionally suspended
- In 2022 there have been 29 new suspensions issued and confirmed, 7 of them to Kenyan athletes (according to the AIU database)
- Athletics Integrity Unit
- Coolest track photos ever (best of 2022 from World Athletics)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!