Episode 40 of the A to Z Running Podcast is about one of the foundations of running, strengthen the animal. Whether you’ve set a foundations through many years of training or are just getting started, it’s important to add strength and mobility to your running foundation. In order to be able to grow your aerobic condition (which we talked about in ep 39) you need to have a working structure to carry you through all the miles.
WORLD OF RUNNING
- Track meet in Florida Noah Lyles beats Justin Gatlin in the 100m.
Noah Lyles- 9.93
Trayvon Bromell- 10.04- PR
- Shaunae Miller-Uibo posted a world leading time in the 400m in Clermont of 50.52 at the same Florida meet.
- Kenny Bednarek drops a wind legal world lead in the 200m of 20.06.
- USATF Foundation grants 39 athletes money, Leah Falland (O’Connor) is on the list along with Jake Riley— two athletes we have had on this podcast.
Featured Product this week, Knockaround Sunglasses.
MAIN TOPIC: STRENGTHEN THE ANIMAL
In this episode of the A to Z Running Podcast we discuss strength and mobility. We go into detail about the how and the why of strengthening the animal.
The strengthening running foundation is critical to allow for distance runners to build a healthy aerobic base (that was running foundation #1).
- Jay Johnson’s Lunge Matrix
- Here is Zach’s no-weight leg strength circuit for runners with video in link.
- Coach Hodgkinson’s warm up drills
We discuss these books in the episode:
(disclosure- these are affiliate links. We may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.)