- To join the conversation, FOLLOW AtoZrunning.
- Welcome to our 50th Episode with our first Olympic Gold Medalist on air, Mary Wineberg. We are doing a giveaway with her on Instagram. Follow @atozrunning and @wineberg400. We will be posting contest details Sept. 16th.
- We had the opportunity to cheer at BQ.2 Mrathon in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our athlete, Erin Laplander ran a PR in the marathon of 3:04. Congrats Erin (happy_athlete_erin). It was also amazing to meet and cheer for some social media friends, Julia (julia.on.the.run), Mary Kitchen (Marathon.momma.11), and Stephanie Martin (mama_apsiring_boston26.2). I am sure others of you were there, so just let us know! I took a bunch of photos and I will send them to you for free, just email email@example.com.
- We also were able to cheer on last week’s guest Bill Johncock and his son Logan- an inspiring father-son duo team. Listen to their episode.
Thanks for the review Ed Scruggs,
Informative as well as entertaining. Listen to AtoZ during my early morning recovery runs to help keep me motivated to hit my running goals for the week.
WORLD OF RUNNING
- Dan King ran a 60-64 World Record in the mile.
- Karsten Warholm (400mh) & Laura Muir (1500m) ran meet records.
- Cindy Ofili won the 11omh. Cindy was on a recent podcast episode about developing speed! Check it out!
MAIN TOPIC: VICTORY BEYOND GOLD
When we don’t win, does that mean we can’t ever get gold? No! We are capable of more than we think and the journey can be comprised of moments that have great victory. Our attitude to overcome like Olympic Gold Medalist, Mary Wineberg can help us find success in life and sport.
About our guest
Alma Mater: University of Cincinnati
Current Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post-Professional Running: Author & motivational speaker
Mary Wineberg is a Gold Medalist, author, and motivational speaker. In 2008 she won her Gold Medal as part of Team USA 4 x 400m. To earn her place on the team, Mary was 2nd at the US Olympic Trials in the open 400m in an extremely competitive field. She also earned a gold at the world championships in 2007 as part of team USA. Her 400m PR is a blazing 50.24.
Mary’s degree is in education and with her running experience makes her uniquely equipped to speak into sports messages. She authored the book, “I Didn’t Win.” In this book, a young kid learns that even when he trains to win, and doesn’t, his hard work is victory. In the description it says, “LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES, DECISIONS, AND OPPORTUNITIES. YOUR PERSEVERANCE DETERMINES YOUR DESTINY.”
That brings us to our conversation today, Winning more than gold. Even though Mary won an actual gold medal, she breaks down how we can too find gold as non-olympians and find victory in the work we do in our lives. How we face decisions and perceive our obstacles can translate into victory.
Follow Mary Wineberg:
Every Thursday, Mary does a show on Instagram called, “Secure Your Gold.” You can watch it live on Instagram each week. Here is an episode where she interviewed Allyson Felix!
View this post on Instagram