- Follow and Subscribe (on YouTube or your favorite podcast platform)
- Listener question from Erika. She asked A to Z Running a question related to our episode about foot health with sport’s podiatrist Dr. Bill Johncock.
- QUESTION: “I was wondering if you knew anything about the Yoga Toes toe separators for runners and if that is helpful or not? I have a small bunion on one of my feet and so I wasn’t sure if that would help.”
- ANSWER FROM DR. JOHNCOCK
- “The use of yoga toes is fine and there are no real contraindications to using them. They will indeed help stretch the tendons and ligaments somewhat.”
- An article Dr. Johncock passed along indicated that daily use of yoga toes is gentle enough for everyday use and can help ease foot pain relate to many common foot issues… it continued to say that you should ask your podiatrist about regular use though and that if you have a “structural problem” Yoga Toes will not fix that.
- “And this [structural problem] makes sense. To answer the question about helping with a bunion, a bunion has both a structural component (bone alignment) and a soft tissue component (tendons and ligaments). No device between your toes will correct the bone alignment. You’ll likely need surgical intervention to do that.”
- Episode 70, “What is Essential for Healthy Feet? with Dr. Johncock”
- Fueled eCookbook by Maes Menu.
- 30 minute delicious and nutritious dinners for the busy runner!
World of Running
- For the women:
- Gudaf Tsegay ran 3:53.09 to take over two seconds off Genzebe Dibaba’s world indoor record at 1500 meters.
- Lemlem Hailu took the win in the women’s 3000m in 8:32.56.
- For the men
- Jakob Ingebrigtsen earned the European indoor 1500 record in 3:31.80 to move to #5 on the all-time indoor list.
- Grant Holloway is now the second-fastest man in history in the 60 hurdles in 7.35 earned an American Record.
- Getnet Wale ran a smokin’ 7:24.98 in the 3000m missing the world record by .08. He ran the fastest 3000m indoor or out in over 21 years.
Feb 13th, Monaco, According to the BBC
- Beatrice Chepkoech sets new women’s 5k road record in Monaco 14:43
Her time, pending ratification, bested the previous record of 14:48, set by Caroline Kipkirui in a mixed-gender race, and the women’s-only record of 14:44, set by Sifan Hassan.
- Beatrice Chepkoech also holds the 3,000m steeplechase world record
- WATCH THE VIDEO:
Feb 13 & 14th, 2021 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix, in Staten Island, N.Y.
- 2 Mile race, Elle Purrier New AR and 3rd World All-time
- ran 9:10:28 over 2 miles to go 3rd on the world all-time list.
- Enroute they took an official 3k, which was a PR for Purrier
- Purrier broke the USA indoor mile record last year
- Took 8 secs off Jenny Simpson’s 9:18.85 AR set at this meet in 2015
- Emma Coburn hung on most of the race, was also well under the old AR in second in 9:15.71.
- Canada’s Julie-Anne Staehlie set a Canadian record in third in 9:22.66,
- 800m race, Donovan Brazier New American Record in the indoor 800m
- 1:44.21 over his previous AR by only .01
- Men’s 1500m
- Sam Tanner set the New Zealand Record as well as the NCAA 1500m indoor record in 3:34
- BUT: Oliver Hoare took the win and set Australian NR in 3:32.35
- Hoare 7th World All-time List
- Trains in Colorado with On Athletics Club, coached by Dathan Ritzenhein
- EXCLUSIVE FROM OLIVER HOARE (Tune into the episode)
- Trail race near Moab, Utah, was dominated by Brittany Charboneau. She won the race and also set a new course record.
The Funny Runner, film
MAIN TOPIC: HOW CAN WE STOP WASTING TIME?
Inspired by last week’s conversation with Martin Hehir where he suggested, “No Wasted Minutes,” Andi and Zach dive into the question, “How can we stop wasting time?”
There are are things we should ask ourselves when our reaction is that we don’t have enough time:
- Do I not have enough time or am I tired?
- Am I prioritizing other things because I am not motivated?
What can cause us to waste time (discussion in the podcast)?
- Analysis Paralysis
Time is precious. Many of us spend a good chunk of our free time on running. How can we stop wasting time so that we can do other important things in our lives too? That is the real question.
When we see our time and our lives as the precious thing that it is, many of us have this deep desire to pursue the theme, “no wasted minutes.”
We would love to hear how you are maximizing your time here on earth! Please send us a message and share your thoughts!
Coming up next week we have Emma Bates joining us to discuss in-race decisions!